CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a downed calf and 't know what else to do. The mom

Customer Question

I have a downed calf and don't know what else to do. The mom died probably three days ago and the ranch just found the downed calf yesterday. We gave him one quart of milk replacer yesterday and electrolytes seprately. Today he had 1/2 quart of milk replacer and 2 quarts of electrolytes spread out over four feedings. His legs are cold and so is his mouth. We currently have him in the barn with a heat lamp and blanket. His nose is snotty and his breathing seems a tad labored. What can we do to save this baby?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Has it ever walked?

Did it get colostrum from mum?

What is its temperature?

What color is the nasal discharge?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time, but the calf passed last night.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am very sorry to hear that is the case. I will pass you back to customer service for a refund.

Take care,

Dr. B.