CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My name is ***** *****. I have a 5 year old bred Jersey Cow.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 5 year old bred Jersey Cow. She has a grapefruit size swollen area at the top of her throat, just below the back of her jaw. She didn't like me touching it, but was patient with me as I felt around it. She is coughing, but she seems to always cough. Our vet says she has damages lungs from pneumonia earlier in her life and also things she has some allergies. She does eat, but has been backing away from the feeder recently and looks to be losing some weight. She does have a collar; which sat right below the bulg. I loosened the collar, although it wasn't very tight in the first place. Any thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's about 3.5 months bred. We're feeding hay and corn from our farm and a ground up mix of our corn and hay with salt and minerals added, which she really likes. We have a llama, two other bovine and about five sheep in the same pasture. I haven't wormed anything in that pasture in quite some time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Large Animal Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, but how many is a couple and how long do you expect the wait to be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any signs of scabs or healing wounds near this swelling?

Is it hard, soft, firm or fluidy? Warm to the touch?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any diarrhea?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check