Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I just had my baby steer dehorned what can i do at home in s

Customer Question

i just had my baby steer dehorned what can i do for him at home in his stall?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, a jab of Penicillin won't hurt and could just prevent any risk of infection for Josh. Otherwise, your husbandry sounds very good and we'd want to keep up with all of that. That said, if you think he is off since being dehorned, this may be related to pain from the procedure. Therefore, we could also address that with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. Now we don't want to use Aspirin in a case like this since it has blood thinning effects but safe options you could speak to his vet about would include Flunixin, Ketoprofen, Meloxicam, or Phenylbutazone. Any one of these could just help take that soreness away for him and get him feeling like himself again.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Josh. How is everything going?
Dr. B.