Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Cow down with destined belly

Customer Question

cow down with destined belly
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

A distended belly on a bull usually means that he has a bloat condition. This will require mineral oil, 1 gallon, given by a stomach tube to decrease the amount of gas producing bacteria. The tube will allow gas to escape and ease his discomfort. If this is not enough, do it again within 4 hrs and use a hot shot to try to get him up....that will help get his digestive tract moving. Also, it will help to give Banamine if you have this available. This is a prescription medication so only your vet can give this.

If you are not able to use the tube or even a garden hose to release the gas, the bull will not survive this. Find someone to help you or call your vet.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****