Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Ihave a pregnant goat that is due to have babies anytime. My

Customer Question

Ihave a pregnant goat that is due to have babies anytime. My husband found her laying down this morning about 9:30 she will move around, eat and everything buy she wont get up, we thought she might be in labor, but she shows no sign of pain or pushing, do u know what could be wrong with her
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see pregnant goats go down for a range of reasons. The most common causes and what we'd want to treat for urgently here are ketosis (low blood sugar) and milk fever (low blood calcium). As well, we can see them go down from thiamine or magnesium deficiency but those are lesser worries at the moment. Finally, if she seems totally normal except isn't getting up, then we can also see this when the kids in utero compress the nerves for the back legs. And while not nearly as common we can also see them go down with orthopaedic/spinal disease, or infection (ie listeria)

Now to start, we need to focus on Ketosis (low blood sugar) since it is one of the most common reasons for this. To treat, you can administer oral Propylene glycol (250–400 g/dose) as a bolus treatment for her. At the same time, you can dose her with a bolus of Vitamin B complex +/- magnesium (especially if you know your soil is low in this).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** calcium, since the calcium is the most complicated to treat with, I do want to touch on this briefly. Now I have to note that it would be ideal to have her vet out to give IV calcium gluconate. The reason its best given by her vet is because IV calcium has to be given with great care (as giving it too quick can cause irregular heart beats, arrhythmias, and death). Still, if you cannot get her vet out, then you can use calcium gluconate (23%) orally (give 8-12 ounces and then repeat with 5 ounces every 8 hours until up) or by injecting it into the muscle (40ml given slowly and divided to 4+ injection sites).

Finally, if you use these and we see no improvement, again we'd have to consider those other issues like orthopaedic/spinal disease, infection (ie listeria), and possible nerve paralysis or complications from the pregnancy. With these you can start her on Penicillin against bacterial infection, but would otherwise need to see if you can get her to a deeply bedded place out of any adverse weather until her vet can help you narrow this down further and give her the best chance of survival for her and her kids.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )