Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I just purchased a pigmy goat, (male,) about a week ago,

Customer Question

I just purchased a pigmy goat, (male,) about a week ago, he's only about 20 weeks old. Yesterday he started crying a lot and then started looking weak, he doesn't walk around anymore and when he did he had diarrhea. I looked at his eyes, (under the eye lids and they are pink,) which I saw on the net to do. I'm on a fixed income so a vet would only be if really the last choice. What should I do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 11 months ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

I’m sorry to hear about your Murphy’s condition. It’s always troublesome when our friends aren’t doing well.

Based on what you have described, along with Murphy’s age, even though his eyelids were pink, I still would not rule out the likely possibility of internal parasites. The eyelid check is not always reliable. It often depends upon the level of the parasite load as well as the type of parasite (of which there are many…). My recommendation to you is to obtain a fresh fecal sample and take it to your Vet’s office for analysis. It would be best if you collect it in the morning, as the fresher the sample, the better the results. Young goats are very susceptible to a type of parasite called “Coccidia”, which is not a worm, but an amoeba-like parasite that attaches to the intestinal wall, causing damage and inhibiting absorption of fluids, which is the reason for the diarrhea. Other “worm” parasites are also very common in kids, and can do an extreme amount of damage, and can, if untreated, lead to death. Both of these parasite types require different kinds of medication to treat, so this is why it is so important to have a fecal analysis completed, then you know what it is that you’re dealing with. If you don’t have a large animal Vet, any small animal clinic should be able to accommodate you, and the cost for a fecal test is very reasonable. Once the parasite is identified, they should be able to tell you which medication(s) are best to treat Murphy. If not, let me know the results and I’ll be happy to make some suggestions.

Again, it’s most likely that parasites are what is causing Murphy’s condition. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, and I hope Murphy recovers soon!

All the best to you,

-Dan C., DVM

Hello! Did you have any further questions?

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM