Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I just purchased a calf son to raise. I was told that he is

Customer Question

I just purchased a calf for my son to raise. I was told that he is 2 mos old but he seems too thin. Approximately how much should he weigh and how much should he be eating
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What breed is the calf?

What are you feeding?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was told that he was 2 mos but I believe he is younger. We bottle feed him but he has only wants to feed once a day. I am worried he won't make it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hes a jersey bull calf
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Jersey calves do tend to be more petite then other breeds. Generally speaking, at this age our calves tend to be around ~60-75kg, but Jerseys can be as low as 50kg at this age. Still, even if he is within that range, we'd want to see some good fat cover over his ribs and hips. If we don't see that, then we'd be worried that he may be failing to thrive or younger then was said.

In regards ***** ***** him, it would be ideal to ensure you are using a breed specific milk replacer since Jersey mums are known to have higher milk fat then other cows (and therefore a normal calf replacer may not meet his needs even if he feels full after you feed him). Otherwise, at this age, they are usually down to 1-2 feedings daily and that isn't a worry as long as he is getting ~3L a day (this could vary a wee bit based on the brand you are using).

Finally, if he is reducing his feed numbers here then it is a good time to get a starter ration down for him. That way he can start weaning to solids while increasing his nutrient intake to help him develop and counter that reduced number of feeds.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)