Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I have a 40 hour old goat kid that is dying. She's had IV

Customer Question

I have a 40 hour old goat kid that is dying. She's had IV fluids (D5NS) is no longer able to suck, she needs an antibiotic. I suspect she has pneumonia. I do not have access to a vet at this time (unable to contact after hours emergency care). I do not have antibitoics for a goat. Is there any human antibiotics I can give her?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings: I just got in and saw your post. Hope I’m not too late. Yes, you can give your goat Procaine Penicillin G, which should be available at you feed store. The dosage for goats is 3cc per 100 pounds, so for a small kid, that would be around 3 tenths of a cc. This is given twice daily into the muscle, not IV. It’s unfortunate you can’t get emergency help, as this is definitely what she needs.

You’re probably already doing this, but keep her warm, a small amount of Karo syrup orally wouldn’t hurt. Did she get colostrum from the dam? Do you have any BoSe, or Vitamin D on hand? A few drops of Vit. D on her tongue can help, and ¼ cc BoSe in the muscle if her dam didn’t receive any prior to kidding.

I wish you luck. Let me know.

Dan C., DVM

I’ll be thinking of the both of you.