Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Mother goat had twins. Her first. They are 3 weeks old and

Customer Question

Customer: Mother goat had twins. Her first. They are 3 weeks old and healthy. However, she has been constipated and not producing milk for last 4 days. I am using Nutradrench and electrolytes but want to know how to help with the constipation.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She will not eat. Just picks at hay, some brush. Will eat a little goat developer pellets but no other grain. I am force feeding water with electrolytes. Will not drink on her own.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Large Animal Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. Thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This lack of milk production tells us that there is a problem such as an infection. It is unlikely that she is constipated but it is possible. Take her temperature with a human rectal thermometer...102 to 103 is normal and anything over 104 means that there is an infection. for now, continue to force feed her and electrolytes and if there is a fever, give her Penicillin G at the dose on the bottle available at the farm supply every 12 hrs. Also, force feed her a bran mash with vegetable oil added and then give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the inflammation causing this problem.

If she does not respond to this, you will have to seek veterinary attention but in most cases, this treatment should be helpful.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Temp has been constant at 102.6. Eye lids are dark pink so I don't think it is a worm issue. Her symptoms most closely match Rumenal Atony I believe.

That is a good sign and if you suspect Ruminal Atony, Mineral oil should be given every 4-6 hrs to decrease the gas producing bacteria and stimulate peristalsis. It is good to continue with the Nutradrench and electrolytes to be sure she does nto become dehydrated but the mineral oil will be very helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What dosage on the mineral oil? She is a Boer-Savannah mix about 80lbs

I use 1/2 cup per 50 pounds so for your gal, I would give 3/4 cup using a dose syringe every 6 hrs to stimulate peristalsis. This illness is enough to stop milk production due to the seriousness of this malady.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome!! You are lucky that the kids are over 3 weeks so they can go on milk replacer. I hope your gal gets over this soon.

Happy New Year!!