Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

3 month old steer calf almost froze to death last night,

Customer Question

3 month old steer calf almost froze to death last night, gave it honey all day and now it wont stand and only looks to the right.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Momma did not feed calf well and is a small calf, maybe 75lbs. Does not have trouble breathing and I gave it two quarts of water with a stomach feeder(bag with stem you put down throat). He has also started chewing but has not eaten anything since I brought him inside so I'm guessing he is chewing on cud. Also when I try and pick him up he does not try and stand at all
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is a pic of the calf
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your calf is that, since he will only look to the right and will not stand, there is some serious neurologic damage that has been done to this guy from this trauma. Treatment would include steroids that you will have to get from your vet. DExamethasone is a strong anti inflammatory medication that will draw off teh fluid that may be interfering with neurologic function. It is very important that treatment be initiated right away since this can become a permanent situation if not treated quickly. It is probably too late fr Mannitol but consult with your vet to know for sure.

In the meantime, continue with supportive care which will include electrolytes give by stomach tube every 6-8 hrs to be sure he remains hydrated while his body is attempting to heal.

I would also recommend Vitamin B complex injections every 12 hrs and honey is a good thing to give. Attempt to get him up 3-4 times per day so atrophy of the muscles does not start.

This is really all you can do for now but it is important to consult your vet about the prescription medications.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the reply but this was posted two days ago and the calf already died. The only reason I posted on here was because they claimed I would get a response in 10 mins. I understand that may not be your fault because you probably don't own the company but if I would have known a response would have taken two days I would not have posted

I am so sorry!! WE really try to get answers for you quickly but often, there are not enough experts to handle the load.

So sorry your guy passed away! At least you tried!!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome....better luck next time....

Happy New Year!!