Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have an old rescued pot belly pig (Sheldon), who I brought

Customer Question

Hi - I have an old rescued pot belly pig (Sheldon), who I brought up to the garage now as the cold weather has arrived. I have left over Uniprim from last year when he had a tooth infection. He is being really moody and grouchy, and won't go up the litte ramp to nestle with his piggy friend. (He hates concrete floors because of being so long in the humane society I think). Something tells me he is just not "right". Should I give him a tsp of Uniprim (he is about 160 pounds), just in case he has a cold or something? He is probably around 6 years old ?? He has been eating fine today, but very "gingerly" on his feet.
Thank you
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I worry that Sheldon has arthritis that is causing him a great deal of pain. I would give Sheldon aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs (800 mg) along with the Uniprim. It is unlikely that this is an infection but just in case, giving this will not hurt. Chances are good that he developed arthritis on the concrete floors at the humane society and the aspirin will really help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****