Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

13 yr old Longhorn cow. Aborted 6months ago. Weight loss,

Customer Question

13 yr old Longhorn cow. Aborted 6months ago. Weight loss , lethargic , modest appreciate, won't follow the herd
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The fact that Dizzy aborted the fetus tells us that she is sick but it is hard to know what is best to do to help her without testing. There are many diseases that will cause abortion and other infections that cause so much stress on the system that this causes abortion. The best thing you can do is have your vet examine her and run testing. Be sure to isolate her from other cows until you know what is causing this. In the meantime, if you have Penicillin G or LA 200, start her on antibiotics and if possible, give Banamine every 12 hrs to decrease her discomfort. It is also good to give her electrolytes, available at the farm supply, every 12 hrs to be sure she remains hydrated.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dizzy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta