Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a pig with a swollen sheath. He has not been eating

Customer Question

I have a pig with a swollen sheath. He has not been eating much, but I cannot get close enough to give him a shot, suggestions?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swollen sheath often means that your guy has an infection which will require antibiotics. Since you cannot give an injection, the only thing you can do is try to get aspirin into him by hiding this in food. The dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will act as an anti inflammatory medication to help decrease this swelling. The best thing, however, is to find a hog catcher, get some help and restrain your guy to give Penicilin G every 12 hrs at 1 cc per 20 pounds of his weight and give the aspirin. This is not easy but worth trying. The only other possibility is to have your vet out to anesthetize him and be able to examine this area to find the cause for this swelling and treat accordingly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Merry Christmas!!

Sincerely, ***** *****