Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a Registered Belted Galloway about 11 months old. He

Customer Question

I have a Registered Belted Galloway Bull about 11 months old. He has had diarrhea very bad for a couple months. I bought de-wormer a few weeks back and gave that to him. Nothing changed, he is now down and I can get him up. We are giving him feed and water and he's eating and drinking, but his hind quarters are cramped under him and he wont even try to get up. Any ideas please?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am very sorry to hear this lad's situation has progressed this far and he is now down. In this case, you need to be proactive and very aggressive with your treatment. If you have not already, we'd want to have a stool sample tested and cultured here. This will help you pinpoint what is triggering his diarrhea (bacteria, viruses, protozoa, etc) and thus target your treatment better.

In the meantime though, we don't want to just be giving water but rather need to start him on electrolytes. You can use an OTC electrolyte solution (ie Resorb, Lectaid, etc) from your local farm supply as this will help restore those losses (one of the reasons they go down besides nutrition/hydration loss). Remember to follow the product you uses guidelines but we want to be making sure he is taking in his daily requirement plus a volume to match the fluid loss in his diarrhea. And I would note that if he is very dehydration already, then fluids (IV or under the skin) may be an option to use.

As well, since bacterial agents are a common cause for persistent diarrhea that isn't wormer responsive, you will also want to consider a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin, Oxytetracycline) for him. Also as long as you aren't seeing blood in the stool, you can slow that diarrhea using Kaolin/Kaopectate. This is often sold as a powder at farm supply shops and will at least slow what he is passing to counter the fluid/electrolyte/nutrition losses he has.

Overall, it sounds like the diarrhea has taken a toll on this lad. It could be due to the infectious agent present (especially if it is a bacterial species that secretes endotoxins) but it may also be the summation of his hydration, electrolyte, and fluid losses. Therefore, we need to be much more aggressive with supportive care just now and consider having stool tested to pinpoint the root cause for this and get him back on track as quickly as possible.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )