Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a very skinny ewe with lamb at foot. The shearer said

Customer Question

I have a very skinny ewe with lamb at foot. The shearer said two teeth missing. She can eat sheep pellets - wondering 1. At what point can I wean the lamb as it is smaller but eating a bit of grass now (about 1 month old) and 2. How many pellets I can feed - do I introduce over a few days or can I feed alot straight away. I am used to horses so understand the problems with new feeds introduced quickly.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Ideally, we'd want to leave the lamb on its mum for as long as possible. Still, if this lamb is small due to mum's milk production being compromised by her condition and feed intake (and mum cannot afford to be pouring her resources into milk); one can wean as soon as needed. Just to note, in dairy production systems, we'd wean as early as 4 weeks of age. So, there is no reason to delay if this little one isn't meeting his needs on mum's milk and already is self-weaning onto grass.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** pellets, we'd want to make sure to use a lamb weaning specific pellet. In regards ***** ***** to feed, we'd want to slowly wean the lamb onto the diet. Now how much to give is very much dependent on the ration/brand you feed. Though generally speaking, you can offer 20-25% of the daily recommended level for a few days and then slowly wean up over two weeks. This gives the lamb time to figure out pelleted feeds (which you may want to set up a creep feeding area that only the lamb can get into to keep mum out) and avoids acidosis from any overindulgence.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for that. We had to kill the mum today. She wouldn't eat and couldn't get upand too thin really. Sad as she was a sweet old girl. The lamb seems to be ok and knows what the pellets are as we had been feeding them to his mum. Sad but he should be ok. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am very sorry to hear that mum did deteriorate so quickly, but its good to hear that the wee lamb is already in the weaning process (likely driven by mum having too little milk for him) as that will make our work with him easier.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
Dr. B.