DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tracked mixed animal medicine in vet school; have been working as an equine vet since graduation
24095035

We have a calf that the hair is coming off it's face, looks

Customer Question

we have a young calf that the hair is coming off it's face, looks like it's rubbed raw, what could cause this?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Im sorry you have had to wait so long for a response. Most likely your calf has lice. Here is some information: http://vet.entomology.cals.cornell.edu/arthropod-identification/cow-recommendations/cattle-lice

I would recommend using a pour-on medication like ivermectin. Be sure to use it once now and once in 2 weeks or as the instructions on the bottle say so that you kill all stages of louse. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angus Simmental. How is everything going?
DrMelJ