Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Our shorthorn seemed to be in labour with her 4th calf. All

Customer Question

Our shorthorn seemed to be in labour with her 4th calf. All 3 before were born live with no trouble. 7 hours ago the unbroken sac was just presenting and we could see hoofs starting to appear. When we checked an hour later she was back grazing with no calf born. In the last hour there's been a bit of bright blood with the vulva only opening a bit. She is still grazing. Her teats look dry but I was able to express colostrum. We don't know what is happening. She is in no distress.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Even though the cervix is open and the calf is in the process of delivery, it is not unusual for the calf to go back inside due to hormonal changes until the cow is ready to deliver. The fact that she is grazing tells us that she is not having contractions so the calf is not ready. You need to give her more time and most likely this calf will deliver with no problems. At this point, I would nto be worried even if she has not yet delivered after all this time.

The time to get worried is if she starts contractions and there is still no calf....then she may need help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****