Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

Dear Doctor, My fiancee raises prize Hereford cattle, in the

Customer Question

Dear Doctor, My fiancee raises prize Hereford cattle, in the past month he has lost 4 calves to bloat. His Doc examined the last 2(they went down at the same time 2 days ago) Perfect specimens-no sign of trouble. While there a third exhibited and they ministered to him and served him. Again no normal issues presenting of bloat. Vet very disturbed. There are very serious legal is going on here which without much description-said rancher is standing against a ring of corruption in his area and includes persons with veterinary experience. I have been searching the web looking for any substances that if injected could possibly mimic bloat in cattle. Would you know of any or could you refer me to an extension service for help in this area? Penn State Extension does not list any phone numbers online. I know this sounds bizarre but the conditions surrounding these events are unbelievable and I would like to check out what I can being removed from the situation. The Vet involved with the animals is also too close and could be hurt getting too close to the other legal firefight. thank you I didn't know who else to ask for references.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I would contact the Department of Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences at Penn. State.

The phone number is(###) ###-####& email is [email protected]

If this is truly a malicious turn of events, the most prudent thing to do is to have the veterinarian submit samples of blood, urine & rumen contents to the diagnostic lab at the university. If he truly cannot get involved, then the next sick calf should be loaded up & taken to the veterinary school. This takes it out of the hands of any local involvement, & if there is any chance that someone is deliberately harming the calves, all the testing & findings can be legally submitted to the law enforcement.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you, & all the best in a search for the issues with your finacee's cattle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much for your help, will forward the information.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Take care.