Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My pot belly is about 100lbs and is throwing up. Not eating

Customer Question

My pot belly is about 100lbs and is throwing up. Not eating and eyes twitching to sides with extreme weakness in hind legs
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know if this is a digestive issue since the eye twitching , called Nystagmus, is a typical neurologic symptom. I believe that your girl has suffered some form of head trauma that may require veterinary attention. The first thing you can do is to give your girl Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs and allow her to fast. After 24 hrs, feed her a small amount of her meal to see if she will eat. If the Nystagmus continues, stronger medicatiions that can only come from your vet will be required to get her past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesnt have any wounds and is indoor pet. We did see little like maggots in her vomit but administered shot for this . She is extremely weak and im afraid dieing

Oh my...Poor sweet girl...The only other thing I may recommend is to give her aspirin 1 1/2 of a regular aspirin ONLY if you can get some food down her, even if you have to force feed her. This can reduce any inflammation that is cauisng these neurologic symptoms. This is what I am the most worried about. Even though you have not seen any wounds, there still could be head trauma causing these symptoms and this can also cause nausea.

If she does not respond, find a vet to examine her so you know for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the pig just passed in her closet

Oh my!! I am so so sorry!! Something very serious happened to your sweet girl. Withe neurologic signs, check around to see if she got into something toxic such as bleach.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet girl!!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pig. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta