Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 10 day old boer buck kid that was born with what I

Customer Question

I have a 10 day old boer buck kid that was born with what I think is lax tendons in both front lower legs.He is eating ,drinking normal with no other issues except the tendons.what should I be doing to help?can it be fixed ?i gave a BoSe shot 5 days ago.He walks on both front knuckles.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common problem in baby goats and it s good that you have given the BOSE just in case. The treatment is splinting the legs to keep them from falling on Thor's knuckles but this can take some time. Replace the splints daily to check for any swelling or drainage but replace the splint until the ligaments and tendons are strong enough to hold Thor up. This can take up to 2-3 months so be patient. In most cases this will take 2-3 weeks.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr.,glad to hear.iv raised goats a long time but this is the first time one of my kids has had this problem.

I have seen this many times in practice and most kids respond well as long as you are patient...This LINK may explain in more detail. You are doing great so far for your baby Thor!!!