Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

First thank u, Scally, charlotte, nc 1200 lb. beef cow, 10

Customer Question

First thank u, Sandra Scally, charlotte, nc 1200 lb. beef cow, 10 yo. Injured eye and vet. had to remove it. No infection as injured 2 mo. ago. he gave her 70 cc of LA 200 yesterday SQ and we are to repeat it tomorrow. I can promise u we will not get her back in the head shoot. I there a oral subitution, I know there is oral erythromycin , and there is oral pill form of pcn. for dogs 500mg. Think that will be our best bet instead of nothing. Thank you, Sandra
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Sandra. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I appreciate that she will be difficult to get back in the shoot, but it is not ideal to give oral antibiotics to cattle. Unlike dogs or people, cattle are ruminants. This means they rely on an extensive gut microflora to digest their food. And that translated to issues with oral antibiotic administration. This is because those bacteria can make actual absorption of the antibiotic difficult (so we'd not want to use a dog preparation since it will likely be too low and not properly enterically coated for a ruminant). As well as there being a risk of those good gut bacteria being killed by the antibiotic (since drugs don't know good bacteria from bad). Therefore, it is highly advisable to use the injectable form, even if it means getting the vet back out or requesting a nurse/tech come and administer it for you. Otherwise, if that is absolutely not an option, you next best step would be to check with your local feed store or farm supply to see if they carry a pre-mix or in-feed antibiotic option (ie Oxytetracycline -ideal as its what she had by injection, Tylosin, etc) that we can safely give her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Pleaseremember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )