Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Treatment 10+ yr. old female goat seemingly having urinary

Customer Question

treatment for a 10+ yr. old female goat seemingly having urinary tract problems. She frequently squats down attempting to urinate with small amounts of urine observed being discharged. Other times when squatting small amounts of mucus-like discharge comes out. She has been given a broad-spectrum anti-biotic shots and some Gatorade from time to time replenish her electrolytes. So far this treatment has helped some, but not showing the results we had hoped for. Can you help us other than for us to call out a veterinarian that we can't afford right now?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any blood in the urine or discharge she passes?

Any fever?

What antibiotic did you use? How long ago?

What type of improvement have you seen? Passing larger volumes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had symptoms for two weeks. She had this same thing a year ago. The vet came out and gave her
a long lasting antibiotic and then we followed with oral antibiotic. So this time we gave her Procaine Penicillin G shots twice a day for four days. She improved some then symptoms returned so we got Liquamycin LA-200 and gave her two shots four or five days apart. Gave her 6 cc's in each shot. She has never had blood in her urine. We have not taken her temperature. She grazes in the pasture now but mostly rejects supplement feeds we buy from the feed store. She appears to have lost some weight. She is improving a little. She is not passing larger volumes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on her signs and her lack of treatment response, we have a few concerns for your lass. Specifically, we'd have to be wary that we may have a resistant bacterial cystitis that is not sensitive to what you have used (though having used 2 different ones already, we'd be concerned that this is less likely), a urinary crystal issue (which can irritate the bladder to cause these signs), bladder stones or a bladder tumor (where straining is due to the bladder feeling full due to the mass but only able to pass small amounts if it is blocking the outlet to the bladder).

With these in mind and your financial concerns, I'd note that collecting a urine sample to submit to her vets (even without having her seen) would be a very good idea here. This can be tested to confirm infection but also analysed under the microscope for cancer cells and crystals (which as I noted are a problem themselves but also a hint of lurking stones). Depending on the findings on what is quite an inexpensive test your vet can do in their practice, we will have an idea if we are on the right track with your cystitis approach or if we have a bigger issue with a potentially poor prognosis.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** at home, further to trying these antibiotics (since further options would need to be dispensed by your local vet), we need to address bladder discomfort and irritation for her. Especially as inflammation can cause narrowing of the bladder outlet, cause straining/discomfort itself, and may be leading to infection pooling that the body just cannot get rid of. Therefore, with these all in mind, we'd want to consider using an anti-inflammatory. Now we'd ideally want to use ketoprofen, phenybutazone,carprofen, meloxicam, or flunixin. Though in this case, you could try aspirin at a dose of 100 mg /kg by mouth every 12 hours. It is not as strong as the others but would be an over the counter treatment that could be tried.

Finally, if she is losing weight (which I must warn would fit more with bladder tumors), we need to keep encouraging her to eat. If she keeps rejecting supplement feeds, then consider crushing any pellet type feed into a mash with her electrolyte solution. This can then be syringe fed or drenched to get nutrition into her and try to counter that weight loss.

Overall, we do have a number of concerns for her presentation. As a female, we'd not expect blockages like we see in the males, but the above would be our main differentials for this lass. Therefore, we'd want to try the above here as we narrow down our signs. Of course, if she didn't settle (or the urine results did raise concerns of more serious issues), then we may need to think about having her vet ultrasound her bladder +/- a urine culture (to ID any infection and what drugs it is sensitive to) to diagnose what is present and assess how severe it is for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.