Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My goat had her kids 3 weeks ago, they started nursing just

Customer Question

Hello, my goat had her kids 3 weeks ago, they started nursing just on one side, so on the third day i started milking the full side. First the milk was white and had blood on the bottom, then it got pink, i took her to the vet, he said it was not mastitis and its a broken vessels and should get better. It did, the milk is white now, but when it sits in the friedg for three days it has a hard to see ring of blood on the bottom. I called the other vet and he told me to stop milking her at once, not to dry he off but just stop. What do you think about my problem what should i do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. It sounds as though your vet was correct and that the pink tinge in milk was coming from broken blood vessels and inflammation in the mammary tissue. He told you to stop milking the full side because it is best to allow her to dry up on this side; the more she is milked with inflamed tissue the more she will keep producing the milk and having the blood discharge. The best way to differentiate this from mastitis is that, in mastitis the afftected mammary gland will become very full, warm to hot to the touch, very sore when touching them and a thick, blood discharge with odor will appear. Your goat will most likely reject any suckling from her kids if this happens and she may be somewhat lethargic and not want to eat (for example if she is running a fever from infection.) The best thing to do now is to allow her feed her kids on the other side and to allow the affected side to dry up. I hope this helps you.

Hello, just checking to see your goat is doing and if my advice helped you? If so, I would greatly appreciate a positive rating. If you have other questions or I can help you further with this please let me know?

Hi Valentina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
rbdvm444