Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I am having my cows and goats to no shead there after birth

Customer Question

i am having my cows and goats to no shead there after birth what am i doning wrong
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

If you are having a number of retained placentas, then it does suggest a common issue among the stock.

Now it does depend how often you are having the problem; but we can see retained placentas in cases of difficult births, twins, and with C-sections. It can also be related to stress (ie poor handling, feed conditions, etc), obesity, and genetics (though that is less likely if we have unrelated goats and cows with these issues). Otherwise, there are some diseases (ie IBR, BVD, Brucellosis, or Leptospirosis) that could also be to blame. Ingestion of excessive amounts of pine needles can also trigger both retained placentas and abortions in livestock. Finally and in regards ***** ***** question, there are some nutritional issues that could certainly cause this here. Specifically, we can see this if the pregnant animal is deficient in energy, protein, selenium, iodine, or Vitamin A& E. So, you do absolutely want to check what you are feeding, how much, and offer a multivitamin lick that contains those aforementioned vitamins and minerals.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am using a tracemineral, a raybond fly block and i was feeding corn. now i am feed southwestern sweet feed from rual king. i had feed hay and pasture combined
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If you are using a block and your stock isn't overly obese or stressed (since these 3 were the top concerned for a multi-species issue); then I would suggest checking whether these problem females have been using the block appropriately. If there is any doubt, you may find better results administering a trace mineral bolus or using a top dressing for their feed instead. That way you know they are getting the appropriate trace vitamins/minerals they need.

All the best,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why are my horses not getting sicking . it is raining and i have a barn for them to get in. i just wonder if the coons are mice have any affects on the feed . some times the goats sleep in the feed trafts. i always dump them. i have only had 1 goat to have the problem with after birth . i just had a cow to have the same problem they were both older animals they never had any problems before could that ice storm last winter have anything to cause bad health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am going to call my vet. to ssee if he can come over and take blood test . i had my cows that died last spring blood tested and they had new phenomia i think is haw u spellit
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Feed contamination from rodents could cause a risk as they would introduce infectious agents (ie toxoplasma) that could then cause abortions. So, that would be a concern that would transcend the variety of breeds affected. That said, if you only have had 2 abortions in older stock and they did have a period of stress from the weather, that also could have caused what we are seeing. And just to note the horses may not be affected if this is an infectious agent they are resistant to or if they are using the mineral/vitamin blocks properly.

In any case, if you have had issues with pneumonia (perhaps mycoplasma as it too can cause abortions), then having a blood test would be ideal to narrow down these range of issues that can cause what we are seeing.

Take care,

Dr. B.

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )