Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Their: I have a 5 year old boer doe and her head swole? up

Customer Question

Hi Their: I have a 5 year old boer doe and her head swole? up and she has very lose stool.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to answer your question. I am unable to make phone calls due to my location but I would like to try to help.

It may be that the swelling is due to an injury possibly from the other goats or trauma. If this is due to bruising, it is best to start her on Penicillin G every 12 hr for 10 days. I would also recommend that you start her on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as she is still eating. This will decrease the inflammation that could be causing this.

It also may be that this is a developing abscess...watch for a soft spot or pus coming from an area.. If this happens, the pus must be drained and this area flushed with Hydrogen Peroxide daily for 1 week.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****