Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a i think is foundered. The and five cows have been

Customer Question

i have a bull i think is foundered. The bull and five cows have been on pasture for a good six weeks with no grain. is this possible?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, this is certainly possible even without grain. This bull may have been predisposed to this without you knowing by having had another founder situation. Any high quality pasture can cause your bull to founder. It is not limited to grain....with a heavy rain, the grass can contain high amounts of carbohydrates that can cause this condition especially if he had an episode in the past. Try to get him in so he can be treated with Banamine to try to stop this process from becoming worse and take him off of this pasture and feed only a low quality hay.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Takes too long to get an answer! I appreciate your information.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long! I hope your bull will do well.

Have a wonderful day!!

Hi Gary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta