Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

We have a show lamb which is somewhat gh strung. She is

Customer Question

We have a show lamb which is somewhat high strung. She is penned with another lamb, however she gets wound up and occasionally bolts and Rams her head into the fence. This last time she was left with a considerably deep head wound which appears to have severed an artery. We are currently cleansing and bandaging it and giving penicillin. Now 3 days in, at what point do we allow to air out and attempt to heal? There is not enough skin to stitch closed. Thanks
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Sylvi's condition. These types of injuries must heal by second intention. In other words, from the inside out. Since it has been 3 days and she is on antibiotics, I would remove the bandage now to allow the dead and infectious material to go to the outside. It is time for air to get to this area and allow this to heal. Cleaning it daily will certainly help and removing any bandage will allow the infectious and dead material to come to the outside rather than going internally.

Make sure that Sylvi is up on her tetanus vaccine.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sylvi. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta