Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I rescued a calf from a farmer down the street who said she

Customer Question

I rescued a calf from a farmer down the street who said she laid down and hasn't gotten up for a few days. They had a vet out that said she needed to eat and a good worming. Shes 1 year old. Eats, drinks, normal bowel movements and appears alert but really underweight and will not stand. Any thoughts?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Considering her age, this calf either has had a traumatic injury to her rear legs or hips or may be suffering from White Muscle Disease. The first thing I would recommend is to give a dose of BOSE available at the farm supply 2 days apart. The dose is on the bottle and, even though she is a bit older , this still could be the problem. I would also recommend that you start her on a regimen of aspirin boluses in case this is due to some trauma at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as she is eating. It will not hurt also to cover her with Pencillin G given at 1 cc per 20 pounds of her weight every 12 hrs in case this is infectious.

If she has been down for quite awhile, this can damage the musculature so find someone to help you hoist her up 3-4 times per day to allow the nerve supply to start functioning. this is really all you can do ....give it a try.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I use bute as a replacement? I have bute paste on hand...

Yes, you can use Bute instead every 12 hrs, probably 1/4 to 1/2 gm. This will help even more than the aspirin if this is trauma.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My farm supply store does not carry Bo-Se and our local vet is out today. Is there anything else we could use? The previous owners had the vet give her B12 and an antibiotic

No, sorry....MUSE is also available but if farm supply does not have this, then get this from your vet. B12 is good as an appetite stimulant but will not do anything if this is White Muscle Disease.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta