Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Looking to under stand problems had 3 goat died diariah then

Customer Question

looking to under stand problems had 3 goat died diariah then did treat for worms even took goat to some one who calls him self a vet. did give a shot of antibiotic. but under there jaw it look swollen from bottom side of jaw
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was any testing done at all?

What did the diarrhea look like?

What antibiotic was given? What wormer?

What were they being fed at that stage?

Did they have any fever?

Where their gums pale/white or normal pink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cam tell you we were treating with liquamycin antibiotic and a dewormer we got at tractor supply when we took to the vet he treated with long range wormer and give to the rest of the goats I can not answer about gums they pretty much run in pasture which has been over grown and they have cleaned up do give a small amount of goat feed to get them to come in at night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, as I am sure you can appreciate, diarrhea of the young goat can be triggered by a range of issues. This includes bacterial or viral infections, parasites (worms, flukes), protozoa (ie coccidia, giardia, etc), and dietary issues (deficiencies, toxicities, harmful ingestions).

Now if they were treated in a broad spectrum manner and didn't respond, then we have to question which issue that wouldn't be sensitive to Liquamycin is present. To start, it would be worth reviewing what wormers were actually used. Especially if they are on a well used and overgrown pasture. This is because not only do we have the risk of worms resistant to your wormer, but also liver fluke.

That aside, if you have any currently affected stock left, it would be highly advisable to have a stool sample tested. The reason is because this can be a real short cut in pinpointing which of the above causes is to blame. You can submit a stool sample (even pool it from a few if there are multiple ones affected to keep costs down) to your vet or directly to the vet lab. This can be analysed to rule out resistant worms and flukes, checked for protozoa, and cultured to ID any bacteria present and what drugs they are vulnerable to. And this can be the best option to ensure effective treatment is initiated as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, I have to note that in cases like this, supportive care can be just as important as the treatment. So, while it won't help the wee ones that have passed, I would note that diarrhea treatment should also include electrolyte supplementation +/- Kaolin (which is OTC at human pharmacies as a liquid and as a powder at farm supply shops). The former would help avoid dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. The latter slows diarrhea to avoid dehydration and protein loss in the first place. And I would just note that the bottle jaw (fluid swelling under the jaw) you saw is a result of that protein loss via their diarrhea. So, that is a side effect of the diarrhea complex.

Overall, we do have a range of concerns for what you saw with these wee ones. The likely cause of death was a combination of dehydration, protein losses, and electrolyte imbalance. Though the underlying cause was likely infections or potentially toxic if there was any harmful plants on the pasture. But in a situation like this or now if you still have affected kids, a stool sample analysis would be the best option to identify which of these cases is to blame and ensure you can treat this as effectively as possible for any still at risk.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )