Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I am trying to find the dose of simethicone or gas x bloat

Customer Question

i am trying to find the dose of simethicone or gas x for goat bloat
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

Bloat can be a result of varying causes, however the most common is gas, or "frothy" bloat. This is caused by too much green grass, or a sudden change in diet, or sometimes we don't know why! What needs to happen is for the gas bubbles to be broken down so the gas can be released. This needs what is called a "surfactent". Most of what you've tried so far won't be of much help, as none of these substances will break down the gas (nor will Simethicone).

What is needed is a product that contains either poloxalene (dosed at 2000 milligrams per 50 pounds)or DSS (Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, at a dose of 15-20 milliliters per 50 pounds). Theses are the active ingredients, but there are many different brand names (Thera-Bloat, etc.). These products should all available at your local feed/supply store. One other home-type remedy is mineral oil. If you or someone you know is able to safely pass a stomach tube, this is the best way to administer it. Mineral oil can be given orally, but you must be extremely careful that no oil gets into the lungs, as it can cause a severe pneumonia. A 50 pound goat could safely have 30 cc (mL) of mineral oil, but if

giving it orally it must be done very slowly. Following the administration of either a surfactant or oil, it helps if the

animal is exercised or moved somewhat, as this will help in breaking down the gas bubbles. Following, that is when the ability to pass a stomach tube can be of great help. This helps the gas to escape, often relieving the bloat.

Of course, there are other reasons for bloat, such as an obstruction, or in the worst case, a twisted intestine.

If you goat is having any problems breathing, the bloat is approaching that of being life-threatening and should be considered an emergency, and a Vet should definitely be contacted.

I do hope that I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks, ***** ***** hope all turns out well for all of you!

-Dan C.

Good Morning!

Just checking to see if you have any further questions.

Thanks again,

-Dan.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM