Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Large (2500lb) front right leg limp, no signs of break.

Customer Question

large bull (2500lb) front right leg limp, no signs of break. possible sprang? does not look swollen. Unable to work with bull. Bull does get up and around to graze and water. Started yesterday no unusual activity (breeding, running). He is not a price bull by no means. Just a breeder and one day in my freezer. He is 4yrs old. I would like to try a water soluble anti-inflammatory if there is one with maybe Tetracycline water soluble. If he could be handled I would get the Vet out here. Is there a water soluble anti-inflammatory for cattle or should i be thinking of something else. Please advise.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now that is an unfortunate situation for Big Boy. Still, if you do want to rule out strains/strains and administer an anti-inflammatory without handling him, then we do have one option. You can consider trying an aspirin based product called Oral-Pro Sod. Salicylate (example). You should be able to find this or a similar product at your local farm supply. And just to note, they meat withdrawal is only 24 hours, so you can use this to try to help him but can still send him to slaughter quickly should treatment fail. Of course, do make sure to check withdrawal on any Tetracycline product you choose (or hold off if this isn't likely to be an infected wound or joint) to make sure that won't be an issue if he weren't to respond to treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you!