Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have a 2 month old calf that has been bottle fed since he

Customer Question

We have a 2 month old bull calf that has been bottle fed since he was a week old. He is usually in a barn stall with outside run,but about 3 weeks ago we put him out in the pasture with another bottle calf. He was just out there during the days and brought in at night. About the same time we noticed some hair loss on his back. The hair loss has gotten worse, he has a big bare patch on his back, and hair loss on his belly and the back of his ears. He has stayed in the barn and run since this has started so he can get into shade if he wants. The skin on the back of his ears looks scaly and dry, and probably a little sunburnt. The skin on his back looks normal color but is really flaky. He seems to be very sensitive to the touch especially on his back. He also has hair loss just above his hooves on all four legs. We have tried vitamin supplements, and our local vet gave us 3 days worth of a cortisone shot. So far things don't seem to be improving.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are these lesions more flaky or peeling?

Any redness or sores with it?

Do you see him rubbing or itching on things?

Did he have any access to odd plants (ie ragwort, St. Johns wort, etc)?

Is the milk replacer new or has it been open for a while?

Can you post some photos of his skin (just use the paperclip icon or post them anywhere and paste the link here)?