Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 14 year old cow with a 2 week old calf on her. Over

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old cow with a 2 week old calf on her. Over night she developed a large round swelling on her left side in her flank area. She also had swelling down to her midline. There were two round sore looking places that we treated with wound spray. We gave her a dose of LA200 and have been observing. She is eating and drinking well. Her udder isn't as full however. She is moving slowly as if she is sore in her back left leg. She acts very sore if you touch the fluid filled area. She is a Simmental cow. Is there anything else we should do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Are there actual wounds associated with the swellings?

Are the swellings soft, fluidy, firm, or hot to the touch?

Does she have a fever?

Can you take a photo of these swellings so I can see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the small places on her belly were a cause. They seemed more like quarter sized irritations from fly bites. The swellings are fluidy but not hot. She is very sensitive to being touched where the fluid initially was on her left. It looked like a large ball shaped swelling at first but has spread some.
She was not feverish two days ago but I have not checked her since for fever.
I can post pics but will be later as its dark now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

In this case, I will need to see some photos of what you are seeing. So, if you can post those when you can, then I will review that for you.

Speak to you then,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having difficulty uploading pics. If you cannot see them let me know.