Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a Katahdin ewe who has gone (partially) blind in both

Customer Question

I have a Katahdin ewe who has gone (partially) blind in both eyes. It appears she can still see blurs and movement but she mostly uses sound for direction. She went blind for the first time in June and with a shot of the antibiotic Oxcytetracycline she got her sight back and has been fine up until a few days ago. This time I've tried Saline solution in her eyes and seems to be clearing it up, but I can't figure what is causing the blindness. Pink eye fit her symptoms perfectly but it isn't spreading to our other sheep so I doubt that is what it is. She still has an appetite and wants to be with the herd. She is perfectly healthy and normal except for her sight. Any ideas?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing changes to the cornea (clear cover over the eye) when she loses sight? Haze, clouding, opacity?

Or does the eye look cloudy deep in the eye?

Did you only give one shot last time?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sally,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.