Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

My goat had two little doe kids Thursday but no milk. Her

Customer Question

My goat had two little doe kids Thursday but no milk.
Her bag is big but no milk it actually fills like a baby goat is in her milk bag. When i touch it I can tell she is in pain.we are bottle feeding the babies but they are still with her. She is getting weaker by the minute.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

Firstly, I apologize for the delay. I just got online and saw your question and wanted to get you an answer as quickly as possible.

I'm sorry to hear about L SU's condition. I'm sure it must have you worried, with good reason!

Based on your description of her condition, it's most likely that L SU is suffering from a severe case of mastitis. In other words, and infection of her udder and mammary glands. I'd like to ask you a few questions, however, so that I might give you a more complete answer.

1): Has L SU ever kidded before?

2): Have you taken her temperature, and if so, what is it?

3): Did the kids get any milk at all from her when they were first born? How are the kids doing?

4): Is L SU eating and drinkng?

5): What does L SU's diet consist of?

Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C.