Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I've got a 7 year old Katahdin who is suddenly unable to

Customer Question

I've got a 7 year old Katahdin who is suddenly unable to walk. the vet came out late last night and administered some antibiotics but isn't certain what the problem is. the sheep lays on his side and tries to stand although unsuccessfully. i propped bales of hay on either side of him, per vet's orders, but he kicked them away during the night. I propped him up again this morning, gave him hay and water (he's eating some, but not drinking) and left for work but will return home in a few hours. I'm researching, but have found nothing. I've noticed lethargy for about the last 6 weeks, he'd get better, then walk as if "drunk", then he'd improve again. this all happened suddenly though, only yesterday
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question. My apologies for the delay, I just got in for the day and saw your post.

Sorry to hear about your sheep's condition. There are multiple causes for the problems that you have described, so I'd like to ask you a few questions in order to get you a thorough answer.

1): Is your sheep neutered?

2): When was he last dewormed, and which product was used?

3): How many sheep do you have in your herd?

4): What does his diet consist of, and does it include any grains?

5): Has there been any change in diet recently, or could he have possibly eaten more than normal?

6): Can you tell if he has any problems seeing?

7): Have you noticed any seizure like activity?

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C.

Hello again:

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be signing off for the evening. I'll check for your replies first thing in the morning.

-Dan C.

Hi Suzanne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM