Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 6 month old calf that bloated. I got rid of the

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old calf that bloated. I got rid of the bloat and it back to eating but won't get up its been down for 3 days now. What can I do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This may be caused by the stress of the bloat causing an interference with the nerve supply or it may be that she is lazy. Since it has been 3 days, it is VERY important that you find some form of a hist to get her up. Try a cattle prod a few times to see if she can actually get up....if she is stressed, there may not be anything wrong and using a prod may help get her up. If this is not working, hoist her up for 30 minutes every few hours to allow the nerve supply to be released. If there is feeling in her legs, this will help. If there is no progress, have your vet examine her to be sure there is nothing serious.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****