Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I have a 3 yr. old wether who has been robust and healthy. I

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr. old wether who has been robust and healthy. I think he ate too many apples after a windstorm. He has been groaning...not pooping much (just a little day before yesterday). Can't afford a vet out right now. Can I give him phenylbute powder...in water for the pain? (Like 1/10th of 1 gram?) He's probably 125-150 lbs.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took a long time to read the terms and conditions. I am sorry to have kept the expert waiting. I kept an eye out for the response once I had accepted them, but haven't seen any.
I received some help elsewhere.
I think you have a good service idea, but it wasn't timely enough for me.
Please do NOT charge my card for what I didn't receive.
I'll keep you in mind if I need help again. Then I can just review the terms and conditions....having read them already.
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings:

I've been offline for a few days and just got on and saw your question. Apologies that you had to wait. How is Burley doing now? Is he still goaning, and is he eating at all? Have you noticed any straining to defecate or urinate?

Per your question, it is actually illegal to administer Phenylbutazone to food animals (and goats are officially recognized as such, unfortunately). What I normally recomend for pain in goats is just regular adult aspirin, which actually, goats respond quite well to. As Burley weighs about 150#, he could have two adult aspirin once daily.

Please let me know if Burley isn't doing well or if he's getting worse.

All the best to you, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

P.S.: I just noted your final response that you had sought help elswhere. I do hope that Burley is ok. Please just drop me a note if you have the time, as I do care. There shouldn't be any charge, just type in as if you were responding to me, and don't click "accept".