Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I've got a 6 month old heifer calf that was weaned a week

Customer Question

I've got a 6 month old heifer calf that was weaned a week and a half ago and we brought her home a week ago tomorrow. (So, lot of stress in the last week & a half) Her stool got loose yesterday and there is blood too. I started her on corid in her drinking water yesterday (she is not tame), 24ml in 5 gallons. She is currently drinking and eating well. It's been 24 hours and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Is there something else I should be doing for her? Is that the correct dose? She is getting free fed, grass hay and is in a barn stall, since I brought her home a week ago, and I'm keeping the stall clean.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to hear that she is eating and drinking well. We do want to keep a close eye on that and potentially even consider starting electrolytes (ie Lectaid, Resorb) at this point. Just to note, she will need to be taking in 0.25-0.5 liters of fluid for every 10 lb (5 kg) of body weight plus an equivalent volume to match her diarrhea losses daily to prevent dehydration. So, if you think she is taking in less then that, then we'd want to supplement.

Otherwise, your starting Corid has been reasonable here. In regards ***** ***** question, if you have used the 9.6% Corid preparation, then the dose is 25ml in 5 gallons water. Further to this though, you may want to cover bases with a prophylactic antibiotic (ie Penicillin, Spectinomycin, etc) to address and/or rule out any bacterial agents triggering this.

Finally, as long as the blood has not been profuse, you can consider using Kaolin or Pepto Bismol to slow the diarrhea. Dose-wise, for either, we tend to give 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. So, that could be used alongside hay to bulk up her feces and slow her scours.

Overall, if she has been under a lot of stress as of late, then this will have dampened her immune system allowing a potential range of agents (ie protozoa, viruses, bacteria) to induce the scours we are seeing. Therefore, we need to tread with care. Your treating with Corid is a good start but further to this, we'd want to monitor, support her hydration/electrolyte balance, and consider the above further treatments. Finally, if you are struggling to get her settled despite the above, you may also want to consider submitting a fecal sample to her local vet to diagnose the root cause so that you can modify your treatment if need be.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.