Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 2 1/2 year old mini veitnamese potbellied pig who

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2 1/2 year old mini veitnamese potbellied pig who is feeling unwell. She was up vomiting last night several times and defecating repeatedly. She has never been ill with the exception of car sickness so I am very concerned. She would stand in the area she likes to use the potty haunched over for periods of time trying to use the bathroom and nothing would happen. After about 30 minutes she came inside and went straight to her kennel and just laid there all night. This morning she did eat and drink normally but she is very lethargic and just wants to lay around under the covers and she is very warm to the touch. She has some gooping in her eyes as well. I have yet to take her temperature as she has never had it taken and I'm not sure how she will react so I was going to wait for my husband to get home to take it. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!
Rachel
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Rachel and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get to your question, Rachel. If your gal is still vomiting and having difficulty defecating, this may be a minor digestive disturbance causing your girl discomfort. For this, follow these instructions:
Fast her for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give 2 tablespoons of Pepto Bismol per 10 pounds every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed a bland diet possibly of rice and pigfeed.
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting and/or lethargy persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****