Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Loretta, My sweet pot belly, Fancy, is 3 1/2 yrs old. She's

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Loretta,
My sweet pot belly, Fancy, is 3 1/2 yrs old. She's been
Limping for about 6 months but much worse in last few weeks. I will try the aspirin, she weighs 100 lbs.
Just had her hooves trimmed in May. What are the signs of hoof rot and do you clean with antiseptic?
Thanks,
Lisa. Raleigh, NC
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon Lisa and welcome! It is so good to hear from yu but I am sorry that Fancy is not feeling well..
If she is limping on her front legs, I would worry some about arthritis since 60% of their weight is carried on her front legs and they are usually over weight. If it is in the rear legs, this also could be some arthritis but since it has been going on for so long, I would worry that Fancy may have torn an ACL which is a ligament in her knee. It is unlikely to be hoof rot especially this time of year. This is a fungal infection of the hoof that is caused by a moist environment and is treated with Kopertox and possibly antibiotics. Normally, you would see and smell something rotten in her feet.
TRy the aspirin at 5 mg per pond every 12 hrs and give her a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin which can be purchased at the pet store and will add lubrication to her joints to decrease pain. If this continues, Lisa, you may want to have her xrayed to know for sure what is going on.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fancy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta