Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have 6 goats. They appear to be healthy. Is there a way

Customer Question

Hi. We have 6 goats. They appear to be healthy. Is there a way that I can check for TB, Bron, and CE myself? Thanks!
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Now the answer to your question is "yes" for most of the agents. You can take a blood sample and submit to your vet or directly to your local vet lab for analysis to confirm if your herd has been exposed to those agents in question. Most labs will even provide the collection tubes you need free of charge.
That said, there is one caveat to this. You will not be able to test for TB at home on your own. This is because the test requires training to be able to administer the tuberculin samples and read the results. This is something vets have to train for separately from their general degree, so it is not a test that anyone else can carry out and achieve valid results. Still, if you can at least blood sample your goats, then you can test for the others on your own.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )