CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I think my herefotd cow is 3 weeks late in birthing. She has

Customer Question

I think my herefotd cow is 3 weeks late in birthing. She has cantelope size humps on her upper stomach
is this the calf
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you sure her due date was 3 weeks ago? Any wiggle room if the bull was just allowed in the field?
How is she herself?
Any discharges from her vulva? Any straining?
Can you take a photo of these humps you are seeing? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the bull to slaugter on 15 October 2014 and he was in the field all year. She had a calf on 25 aug 2014. He may have got to her at the very end. so there is no way she got bred after the 15 October date. The bulges seem to shift and are immediately behind her vagina about a foot back....not the pins on her rump. She is not in distress and seems to be bagging up. No notice able discharge. I am just wondering how late is really late. Bull was a hereford charlois mix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Call me if you want
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Can you post a photo of what you are seeing (as you started with these lumps in the upper stomach and now a foot behind the vagina)?
Did she put on weight since being in the field with him?
Any milk when you express the teats?