Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My 2 1/2 yrs old goat got into the dewormer container & ate

Customer Question

My 2 1/2 yrs old goat got into the dewormer container & ate the whole thing. She is nursing her month old baby. What do we do now?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
What was the active ingredient?
How much does she weigh?
How much was in the container (total and/or how much was left)?
How is she just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I had a 3 lb pail of Rumatel (Merantel Tartrate). We treated 2 goats 1 time from this pail. It is made by Prairie Pride. My husband thinks she is about 80 lbs. She seems fine this morning.
We fed her some All Stock pellets this morning with a bunch of grapes & a few plums.Thank you! Going to church now. Will be back this afternoon.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I do apologize for the delay in my reply. I am afraid I have been caught in back to back emergencies at my clinic and this is the first moment I have had to respond. In any case, I do want to let you know that this is obviously a worrying dose for this lass. Still, if we are going to see adverse signs, they usually arise within a few hours post ingestion. Therefore, for her to be well at this stage is very positive.
Now I did research the break down of the drug in this product and can say that the preparation you have contains around 13.2 grams of the Morantel. If she had the bulk of this 3lbs, that translates to a 366mg/kg dose for her weight. And as I am sure you can appreciate this is a very high dose for her. In fact, in studies done on sheep there was the risk of fatalitiws at doses >200 mg/kg. Otherwise, if a doe has this much, we could at the very least see elevated breathing and heart rates, drooling, GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling), wobbliness, tremors, and seizures.
With all this in mind, if she is fine and without any of these signs in the hours post ingestion, I would question if she got into this alone. In any case, we'd want to monitor for those signs for the next 24 hours or you could consider having her vet out to check her. If they see any signs suggestive of this type of intoxication, then they could counter the drug by treating with atropine. But again to hear that she is well and without signs that long post ingestion, we'd likely be fine to monitor, keep her drinking (to flush the drug out of her system) and double check that none of the others gave her a hand eating this or ate it all instead.
Please take care,
Dr .B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,so much. I am keeping an eye on her, for sure.
God bless you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best and please let me know how she gets on,
Dr. B.