Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My lambs are nearly 3 weeks old , is it too late to castrate

Customer Question

Hi , My lambs are nearly 3 weeks old , is it too late to castrate the males and dock their tails.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Based on Australian guidelines for sheep castration and tail docking, you are still allowed to do so at this stage.
The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) has stated that despite sooner always being better; they accept castration to be done on lambs <3 months old as long as you are skilled to do so and use accepted industry practices. Any older, and the castration needs to be surgical and performed by a vet.
While it is ideal to use rubber rings in the first week of life, they are still thought to be less painful then knife castration for lambs <5 weeks old. So, you can use this method for castration. Still, in regards ***** ***** humane methods for tail docking, best practice would be to an electric docking iron for that.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )