DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tracked mixed animal medicine in vet school; have been working as an equine vet since graduation
24095035

A goat we are sitting has a red ring around one eye and it

Customer Question

A goat we are sitting has a red ring around one eye and it has become cloudy
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Let me see if I can help. It sounds like the goat might have a corneal ulcer if this has come up suddenly . When the surface of the eye gets scratched or irritated, the eyelids and conjunctiva becomes reddened and swollen and the corneal surface becomes cloudy with edema. This can be serious if it gets infected. I would recommend having a vet come and look at it so you can get appropriate eye meds to treat it. This usually consists of applying a triple antibiotic ointment to the eye. If you have some banamine there you can give that for pain. If you are not familiar with medicating goats, I recommend you call the vet. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nelly. How is everything going?

DrMelJ