Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My 4month old weather is not acting right. He doesn't want

Customer Question

My 4month old weather is not acting right. He doesn't want to come out of the goat house and is spending most of his time resting in the corner. He is usually quite vocal and has been unusually quiet for a couple of days. He making a gagging noise. What should I do for him? He's not eating much either
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that William is not feeling well. My first concern for your guy is that they can catch an Acute Pneumonia during this time of year which attacks so fast that he will not show the typical signs of a pneumonia...the gagging noise may be the first sign. Find a rectal thermometer and take Williams temperature...normal is 102 and anything over 104 indicates infection. For this, there are better antibiotics for this that your vet will have to prescribe. If this is not possible, you can purchase Pencillin G at the farm supply and give 1 cc per 20 pounds of his weight every 12 hrs. If he is running a fever, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound but you will have to force feed William a gruel prior to giving this. Supportive care with force feeding him and giving 2-3 ounces f Pedialyte every 4 hrs until you can see your vet.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****