Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a very old goat and it is so embarrassing that I cannot

Customer Question

i have a very old goat and it is so embarrassing that I cannot take him anywhere because what started out as one of those lumps under the neck area had gotten bigger and a vet looked at him a while back and said because of his age just let nature take its course. now I feel horrible because it is absolutely huge and looks like it is ready to explode. He gets sweet feed along with hay, some greens and apples on a daily basis. the only thing he has always eaten was the sweet feed and hay on a regular basis. the other items were more so in the last few months. this lump has been a 2 yrs plus thing going on. any thoughts or suggestions on anything I can do or medication . I am afraid that it is too far gone for anything to have an affect. this goat is about 60-70 pounds.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did the vet do any tests or determine what this lump was (ie cancer, lymph node, abscess, etc)? Is it painful to the touch? Is the skin giving way and ulcerating already?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I have not heard back from you, but wanted to leave my thoughts since I do need to be away for a wee while. Now first and foremost, you do not need to be embarrassed here. Any vet that may see this lump at this stage will only want to help your lad, not judge you for anything. So, if this growth is reaching critical mass at this stage, then there is no shame in getting this seen to see if there are any additional treatment options (ie removal, debulking of the mass, draining of any abscess here) for him. Or at the very least to determine which concern is present (ie abscess, cyst, tumor,enlarged lymph node, etc) so that you can assess his treatment options and overall prognosis with this. Otherwise, there are some treatments we can consider here.To start, to try to address any infection/abscess, you ca n consider starting him on Procaine Penicillin G. This can be purchased OTC at some farm supply stores and can be given at a dose of 3ml once daily for 5-7 days. Otherwise, if he is sore or this is very inflamed, you can also consider treating him with Banamine (1ml per 100lbs or 0.6ml if he is 60lbs). Finally, while doing the above, you can also warm compress the mass to try and reduce inflammation around it. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use). Overall, there is no shame in wanting to help your lad. So,don’t be afraid to have him seen at this stage. Otherwise, in the meantime, do consider the above to treat what we can to try to reduce this and keep him comfortable. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brownie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.