Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Have a calf that had a slight navel swelling after birth. Calf

Customer Question

have a calf that had a slight navel swelling after birth. Calf is 10 days old and showing a slight swelling in the joint of front leg how best can I treat the problem now? which drug is best
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, a calf with a single swollen joint and potentially compromised navel does ring alarm bells regarding bacterial joint ill (especially if he lacks a history of trauma). Now in regards ***** ***** joint infections, without a culture of the joint fluid for the bacterial agent, we cannot really say what is the ‘best’ treatment for these are. This is because there are a wide variety of bacteria that can migrate into the joints and cause a disease of this nature. That said, we tend to base our treatment from knowledge of what bacteria most often causes this condition and what drugs they will respond to. And with that in mind, the two most common broad spectrum antibiotics that we'd use in this case would be Penicillin or Oxytetracycline. These can be purchased from your local farm supply or vets. Typically we will treat daily for 5-7 days (dosing based on the bottle's direction) +/- warm compress the joint to help reduce swelling and address this for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )