Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

What does pink eye look like in sheep?How does one treat

Customer Question

What does pink eye look like in sheep?
How does one treat pink eye in sheep?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Pink eye is a bacterial infection of the eye that often causing tearing or pus like discharge to stream from the eye. It can cause the clear corneal cover over the eye to become white or cloudy. And if severe we can see ulcerations of this layer, which can cause them to squint due to being painful.
In regards ***** ***** we do tend to favor eye based treatment as opposed to systemic. So, ideally we'd want to use tetracycline, oxytetracycline/polymyxin B, or erythromycin eye drops from your local farm supply store. These should be used at least 3 times daily for Boy. If this is not possible (ie you have a number of animals affected), then you can alternatively treat with long acting injections of oxytetracycline to address this infection for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )